From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:40:33 EDT
Just an update to keep you informed of his progress: Brutus's glucose shot
up above 500 soon after my last post and he started seeming lethargic and
glassy-eyed, so I did start insulin.  I started with 0.1U Humulin NPH and
quickly learned he needed larger doses.  When we got up to 3.5 U twice
daily and his glucose still in 400's, I switched to Pork (Ilentin) NPH.
Even so, 3 units gets me a glucose of 300 from 2-6 hours after the last
dose.  He does behave normally though again.  I have checked glucose 4-5
times daily while raising doses.  My plan is to hold him at maybe 4 U in
am and 3 U in pm (I want to minimize the risk of insulin shock at night)
and stay at that dose for a while.

I did find one person whose ferret required 10 U insulin twice daily to
keep glucose 450-500!  Maybe insulinomic ferrets become wildly insulin
resistant as a survival technique.  Also, I think it is possible to
develop antibodies to insulin.  Anyway, we are still hoping for a
spontaneous recovery.

cb