Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:31:55 -0500
Just a note on my experience with winter coats this year.  This year Pepsi
might actually get one.  He hasn't had a decent coat in a long time, but he
had his adrenal surgery two weeks ago.  The hair is growing on that cold
little tail already.  I can hardly wait to see him back to his beautiful DEW
self.  He never showed any other signs but hairloss.  He stayed the most
active of my crew (7) and was always on my toes.  I won't say heels, because
he is deaf and is constantly in front of me trying to make eye contact.
About three weeks ago I noticed Max had signifigant hairloss all over his
body.  My first reaction was, oh no, not another right now,I can't afford
it.  Every day it was getting worse until about a week ago I noticed he was
starting to grow new fine hair everywhere.  I have had ferrets for about 15
years and have seen some very dramatic coat changes, but not like this.  I
think this will be the year Max turns silver.

I have moved to a few different climates in the past several years and
these poor guys don't know what they are supposed to do.  Dixie, Dweezil,
Salty Dog, Max, and Pepsi all had bald tails this year.  Butler and Flye
were the only ones to retain any tail hair.  Everyone is growing hair now,
ever poor old Salty.  He was in very bad shape when I adopted him from
Juliana in Georgia.  Now he is active and happy but does have an enlarged
spleen(the next operation).

Now that my crew is back in Canada (that was a feat in itself) they are
all putting on their woolies.  They are also exposed to a great deal of
constant natural light, which may have something to do with it.  We are all
shuddering at the thought of winter in Alberta, but the great people of the
Alberta Ferret Society warm it up considerably.

. Pat and the wrecking crew  .
. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  .