From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 08:45:50 -0800
>From:    victoria foster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: uterine infection

Amoxicillan isn't usually very effective on uterine infections.  Spaying is
indeed one option but not the only one.  If it is a recurrent infection then
definitely spay.  Or if it isn't taken care of quickly.  The life of the
jill is more important than potential kits.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: TWO QUESTIONS

(1) Most MF ferrets hit the pet store at about 6 to 8 weeks old.  Is it easy
to determine the sex of the animal at this age?  I have not seen any
information anywhere as to sexing ferrets.

We personally don't like placing kits this young.  They need a bit more
specialized care still.

But sexing kits can be done from birth.  You look for an extra "belly
button" that is actually the males organ cover on the belly.  Boys urinate a
couple inches in front of their hind legs.  Girls urinate right at their
hind legs.

>(2) At 6 to 8 weeks old, what do you feed them?  Wet food?  Dry food?
>Duck soup?

What we use is Science Diet A/D (or a quality canned kitten food) with
Totally ferret mixed in.

>From:    "Todd J. Lorenc" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Santa
>A question: According to the papers we got he has had three vaccinations and
>is due for his fourth in a couple of weeks. [...] Have you heard of giving
>four?

Some vets believe in high levels of vaccination.  But the Fox book warns of
problems with doubling dosages and we've heard of problems in ferrets
vaccinated too many times too close together getting distemper which may
have been vaccine induced.  The recommendations from United Vaccine which
makes the only really tested and approved vaccine is to give shots at 8, 11
and 14 weeks.  The 11 and 14 week shots are the important ones.  If they
have been given then your ferret is as safe as a vaccine can provide.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]