From:
Sandra Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 20:53:55 -0800
Does anyone know if polyurethane is toxic (and if so, how toxic it is) to
ferrets?  I am getting ready to have my wood floors on the first floor
buffed and refinished with polyurethane (NOT having them sanded).  My
ferrets are in the laundry room in the basement.  Would it hurt them to
leave them there while the work is being done?  (They say we can come back
in the next day--the floor will be dry enough to walk on.) The company will
only say that they are not responsible if something happens to the ferrets
but will not tell me whether the stuff is toxic or if the vapors tend to
sink downward.

If it will harm them, obviously I will find a way to get them somewhere
else.  but if it won't harm them, it would be far easier on them and on me
if I leave them where they are.  I would probably have to board them
somewhere or disassemble and reassemble their cage somewhere else--major
disruption in their lives and much work for me.

Note: This is not Glitsa; it's just plain polyurethane.  Also, we would shut
the door to the basement and could set up a fan blowing toward that door to
try to keep any fumes from coming downstairs.

I'd be very appreciative if anyone has knowledge or suggestions about this
subject that they could share with me.  THANKS!!!