Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 21:23:41 -0700
All-right..here is a great topic of discussion for all you breeders out
there....

As many of you know, I have one of the Magnificent 7 from New Zealand.  She
is a little girl that just turned 5 months and is a very whole ferret.

When can I reasonably expect her to have her first heat?  (I haven't decided
yet whether or not to have her fixed or let her enjoy life as a real girl!)
I have been told that summer weather (heat?) is a trigger for a female fert
to come into heat..This little girl has had her season clock completely
turned around....two summers in a row!  Heh..She has grown her very
beautiful winter coat in anticipation of winter down-under!

Anywho...Then, when she does come into heat, I have been told that the vet
can give her a hormone shot to bring her out of heat...or, as I have read
here, I can find someone with a vasectomied male.  My question is: Are there
any objections from the rank and file here to the hormone shots?  What are
they, if any.  Are there any known problems with the hormone injection
method of bringing a ferret out of heat?

I am happy to say, that this little girl has completely stopped her
poofing..  even when she is having a 'discussion' with Snorkle.  He will
beat the tar outa her if she gets uppity with him..otherwise, he ignores
her.  He never did care for the unnecessary and vicious attacks on him by
her initially...he has never forgiven her.  What is funny is that if she
even begins to look like she is gonna badger Garret, the old timer, Snork
comes over and runs interference.  Never seen a protective fert before!

Oh yes...Tuzigoot (her name, although she now answers to Little Girl) is a
first class tail wagger.  I mean, she wags it at anything she is happy
about.  And let me tell you, her tail is looonnnngggg!

She also recognizes the Ferretone bottle...she sees it in my hand and she
starts licking madly!  In anticipation of the treat.  Heh...Ever seen a fert
with a 3 foot tonque?  <GRIN>

Welp...(No play on words intended)..I will await the answers.  Please,
respond here to the FML..this is a good topic and posting private responses
to me will not do anyone any good in the future!  Least I forget...THANKS
to everyone who responded to my questions on carry bags and harnesses.  I
received over 30 private e-mails on them...

MC  (The Rude One)