From:
John & Sandy Lazdins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:06:41 +0900
>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen on "when to?"

>>From:    MC <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: When to?
>
>Well estrus is the other season usually.  Its light not heat that triggers
>it.  Sometime after the winter solstice (shortest day of the year) as the
>days get longer she should go in.  But with the "two summers" in a row all
>bets are off.

2 months ago I would have agreed with this statement from Zen completely.
Since then we have had unseasonally warm (hot) weather, with bright sunny
days - still short days mind you and cold nights and I have had 3 ferrets
that are outside come into season and my V-hob has been having lots of fun
with 6 or 7 girls that had to come "visit" with him.  So is it the length
of the day or the intensity of the light?  or does heat have something to
do with it as well.

BTW this has never happened to me before with any of my jills - but then the
last week in May was the hottest on record (for May) in 50+ years.  Thoughts
please.

Health and happiness to you and your "family"
Sandy
Lotsa Dooks Ferret Sanctuary Inc.
http://www.senet.com.au/~lazarus/sandyshp.htm
ICQ# 5319320