From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:01:09 -0500
>My comparison of a ferret to a family member was made to drive home a
>point... "older" people , if able to withstand sugery DO HAVE SURGERY!!
>Why not pets??  Your claim of a 5 year old ferret being considered
>"elderly" is a good point, however to deny one a necessary medical
>proceedure to improve the quality of life simply because it is "too old"

Ah, I'm a third party (like all except two here) and missed what created
this -- or just didn't link the two remarks.  Yes, of course, older
ferrets can have surgery and 5 isn't very old -- kind of like a person
being 50.  MOST surgeries are going to happen in such age brackets with
an experienced vet since that is when a number of health problems turn
on.  We have had ferrets of 8 years old have surgery (though it does start
getting riskier about then for most due to accumulated health problems;
know of older ferrets who had surgeries.  It's a matter of the health of
the ferret and the ability of the vet more than the age, and 5 just isn't
old-old: it's more late middle aged to early old.  I'm 51 and not old,
yet, and that's the equivalent age.

If the vet isn't up to surgery on ferrets then you can find vet lists at
http://www.miamiferret.org,
and in the File in BOTH the recommended vets file and the shelter file at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/ ,
plus I beleive that there are links to others at
http://www.ferretcentral.org .

>Does anyone know of a place that offers ferret insurance?  Just in case
>anyone remembers my Otis will be going in for his second adrenal surgery
>on Thursday.  He is about 5 yrs old so please keep him in your prayers
>and hearts!

You'll find it right in the resources and references that I posted
yesterday.  Write to <[log in to unmask]> and in the subject and
body (I'm not sure which makes it work.) put ONLY SEND FERRET 3663
[It's SEND FERRET 3663 in the body -- the subject is ignored.  BIG]

That will get you that day's list as per instructions at the top of each
FML.

>He said that they are more likely to eat rabbit (rodent).

Quick FYI: rabbits are not rodents; they are lagomorphs.

>i've got a question about my mojo biting.  she's deaf, and i've been
>working on her

If you follow the instructions given above for getting yesterday's FML
you'll find a deafness page in the resources list.

General comment to all: There really is a LOT in the resources list and I
can't post it often, so, please, use it and save it, and use the assorted
resources here on the FML beyond the list itself and in other resources.