From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 00:06:23 -0500
Bad news...Molly is going in for surgery on Tuesday.  She was "altered" as a
kit by MF.  Well, Molly the alter has gone into a full-blown heat, enlarged
vulva, nesting, nuerotic behavior, the works.  She'll have a complete
hystorectomy, and the vet will check out her adrenals while he's in there.
She should be OK, she's very healthy, springy, young...  but I'll still be a
wreck all day.  Keep your fingers crossed.

>Ferret Owners: I saw data that indicated the "average" ferret owner was a
>well educated professional female making lots of money.

This describes me to a "T".  Well maybe I don't make "lots" of money, but
I'm not complaining either.  Face it, ferrets give the companionship of a
dog, but have the care needs of a cat (Pretty much).  Thye are low
maintenance, ie you don't need to walk them 4x's a day.  Perfect for the
busy female professional, living in an apartment.

Mink:  Not to get into a discussion on the wearing of fur- I am remaining
nuetral on that one, but the releasing of the mink into the wild was wrong,
wrong, wrong.  Granted, these minks would be killed anyway, and granted they
certainly weren't being kept in adequate conditions, but releasing them into
the wild will only cause them to die a possibly agonizing death.  If one
wishes to express their anti'fur views, they will be much more respected and
thus listened to with open ears by the general public by bringing their
message in the proper forum then they will buy gaining attention through
acts such as this.  I am turned off to any type of radical group/person/act
regardless of the cause, but will listen attentively to an arguement even if
I oppse it which is made calmly, rationaly and in the proper forum.  I think
that this represents the majority of the public whether they want to admit
it or not.  One will receive respect if they act in a respectful manner.
Releasing someone;s property into the wild, thus ruining his livlihood which
he was doing in a legal manner should be condemned, not applauded.

Ferrets and Christmas:  This will be our forth Christmas with carpet sharks
about.  The biggest problem we've had is the knocking of ornaments off the
lower branches to be used as playtoys.  We still had a fairly youg child in
the house when we got our first ferret, and thus had "unbreakable ornaments
on the bottom branches".  I buy those cheap satin wrapped styro balls, and
let them all "go for it".  When they trash them, I throw them out.  I don't
put tinsel on the tree, as it can be deadly if it enters a pets digestive
tract.  I Don't hang candy canes on the lower branches.  I have never had a
ferret try and climb the tree, although this will be my first yearwith
teleporters.  Mambo has always enjoyed curling up on the tree skirt under
the tree and sleeping there.  I'm telling you, he's got dog in him...  Use
common sense, and you should be fine.  Oh yes, and don't forget to let the
fuzzies out while you open presents...wrapping paper and boxes is the best
part of Christmas for them!

Dana and Robin- your story about Tasha is hilarious!!

Sorry for the length- happy ferreting!
-Mrs. Duck