From:
"Alice D. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:05:08 -0800
The Killians wrote:

>Marshall has been breeding ferrets for something like 60 years.  If they
>were as bad as a small but noisy minority thinks then Marshall would go
>out of business as other ranches offered a better product

Bill or Diane, how bad should Marshall's get before we become concerned?

>But instead Marshall seems to be thriving and able to charge a bit of a
>premium for their ferrets as they have a very good reputation?

Bill or Diane, are you sure whatever good reputation Marshall's has is based
on fact?  At many pet stores Marshall's reputation is praised because
proprietors want to sell ferrets and they'll tell a customer anything to do
so.  Some of these proprietors will also tell you it's fine to sell a ferret
at 5 weeks old; you should snap one of these infants on the nose if it
gently puts its teeth around your finger; a prolapsed rectum is nothing to
worry about; or wood shavings are good bedding.  They'll also tell you a
Marshall tattoo is a sign of quality.

Alice