From:
Marta Towne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 02:29:11 -0500
Please, don't flame me....I wish I could save all the ferrets, but I can't

Okay, my neighbors have ferrets.  Now, I don't mean some Marshals ferts
inside, being spoiled, they have a Hob and (until yesterday when one died
of heat) three jills, and three (until yesterday) 3 month old kits.  I have
been trying to talk these people into giving up these ferrets for several
weeks, or at least altering them.  But they are of the belief that ferrets
were "made to have babies" One of the jills, which ever one is due to give
birth and the older kits are kept in a metal camper shell on the ground in
teh back yard.  Yes, it is in the shade part of the day, but no fan, no
A/C, and 100 degree days.  The Hob and the other female are kept in a
"rabbit" hutch of wood and wire outside.  They are all skinny and they
are fed Meow Mix.

I had a Superpet cage, the HUGE one?  Double high, adjustable shelves and
tubes for sale a at a yard sale asking 50.00, she came over and looked at
it, and wanted it so they could keep some of the ferrets inside during the
winter.  She coudn't afford to buy it, so her hubby offered to trade me one
of hte kits for it.  These kits are 3 months old, albino and, of course, un
altered.

Immediate trip to the vet.  Shots and check up.  Reletively healthy.  SO
now he is in quarentine, very sweet and loving.  Clings to me when I hold
him.  Seems afraid.  The hubby told me that if they bit him when he fed
them, he hit them.  This little guy is really sweet tempered and named
Romeo.

Okay, now my questions.  Can any breeder out there give me any hints as to
what I can expect from Romeo until he can be neutered?  What age?  Should
I keep him apart from the others ( I have 9 other personals)?  Is there
anything special I need to do with a full hob kit?  I have had adult full
ferrets, but they were grown and altered as soon as possible.  I want this
baby to have the best start.

I wish I could save all of them.  But I can't.  If I had an extra $100.00 I
might be able to buy the other kits, but they won't part with the breeders.
The lost one female yesterday to heat...and I fear for the rest.  I have
tried to educate them, they won't be educated.  The animal cruelty
investigator says that as long as they have "shelter, food and water" they
can't touch them.  SO I am at a loss.  I keep talking to them, hoping they
will give them up....but I can't afford an extra $100 right now to save the
other two babies.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some hints.  I am hoping Romeo is the same
basically as any other kit...and he WILL be neutered as soon as possible...
but other than that, I just don't know.

Marta
Fuzzy Kisses Ferret Shelter