From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:43:29 EDT
>Reet..." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dexter the sick fert
>Poor Dex has come down with a little old tummy bug..  The vet gave me
>some penicillin and a dropper, assuring me the pleasant banana taste
>would ensure no problems with feeding it to Dex.  ...
>So here I am..  After numerous attempts to coax Dex into voluntarily
>drinking the meds, I am sitting here twice daily, slowly squeezing a
>mixture between tightly clenched teeth (oh yeh, he really doesn't like
>this stuff), and trying to control a severly quirming ferret..  To add to
>it, he isn't allowed to eat for at least 2 or 3 days until it is cured.

I am not a vet - but I am very concerned that your vet is not allowing your
ferret to eat!  Especially when you consider that your ferret is already
being treated for a gastrointestinal problem already.  I can't think of any
kind of stomach disorder that would result in the recommendation for no
food for 2 or 3 days....Is it possible that Dex is supposed to be eating a
soft diet for a couple of days, and just not supposed to eat his regular
food for awhile?  Here is some info that I have linked from Ferret Central:
<A HREF="http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/ulcers.html">
Ferret Gastric Ulcer / Helicobacter FAQ </A>

I would call the vet and confirm what the diagnosis is, and prescribed
treatment.  A ferret has an extremely high metabolism and fasting a ferret
for 72 hours can certainly cause a lot of secondary problems, especially in
a ferret that is already sick.  Good luck to you and Dex.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854