From:
"Paul L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 19:00:52 -0800
A pensive greetings from Seattle.

Flip seems to be doing fine after a scarey encounter with a cat under the
couch.  It seems they suprised each other and had a lively fight that lasted
as long as it took for me to lift the couch off them.  They ran in opposite
directions; the cat hiding in the corner for about an hour and Flip hidding
behind the couch until I pulled him out and onto my lap.  There were several
small holes in his neck and upper back, as well as scratches up and down his
back.  I rinsed him with water and after he was dry I poured some hydrogen
piroxide over his back.  Thank goodness there doesn't seem to be any undo
redness, swelling or discomfort!

I just got through reading the posting on the Humane Society's position on
Ferrets.  I haven't been following the debate closely and I deleted that
portion of the list so I can't refer back to it so keep that in mind when
considering my reactions.

It seems to me that recognition of the work that it takes to raise and care
for *any* animal in the home is a good thing.  I have often thought the very
same things stated by the H.S. about cats, dogs, etc.  I really believe
that many, if not most, people have no business having pets because they
don't have or aren't willing to spend the time and care to do the humane
things necessary for the physical and mental wellbeing of their animal
companions.  I do believe that many of the people who keep ferrets are a
special breed but these are the ones that actually keep their ferrets.
Every week there is at least one ferret advertised in the paper that someone
was too busy or unknowledgable to take care of.  I want to expore what ways
there might be to lessen this number.  A good discusion and knowlege of the
work involve in raising a ferret is a good beginning.  I don't want ferrets
to become like cats and dogs with thousands being euthanized, or tossed away
by uncaring owners every year and multiple times more than that still being
bred and sold in stores.

Free speech:  I am following, with some concern, the flare up of discord
and animosity on this list.  BIG I think that you are doing the right thing
by calling for an end.  I do the same.  If there is more to be said then
let's say it in private email.

There are always going to be people we don't like or just disagree with and
if we take up this space debating them then we loss sight of the objective
of the list which is to discuss ferrets.  I know that I also posted a reply
but now I regret it and I apologize for addressing this to the group.

It is a sad thing that there is any hate in the world but I have found great
comfort that there is so little of it here in this group.  I realize,
however, that this doesn't mean that there will be complete peace and
harmony and I will try to take things in stride; realizing that I am not the
center of the universe and that I don't have to take even personal attacks
personaly.  I am only hurt or offended if I choose to be.  No other person
has the power to do these things to me without my permision.

Sorry for the length of this post.  I'll try to keep it to ferret issues
from now on.

With poop in my corners,

Paul

      "The tide is turning...the enemy is suffering terrible losses..."
                                                -- Gen. Geo. A. Custer