From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 06:38:10 -0400
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Shocking
>
>So far not a single person out there has written of knowing a vet who
>scrubs his or her hands before examining the patients.  So far not a
>single person knows of a vet whose examination table is wiped off, then
>sprayed down and left to dry for 10 minutes on a consistent basis-or at
>all.
 <snip>
>Instead-I am actually hearing from people about vet offices that actually
>have vets telling the assistants NOT to clean, so that disease can spread,
>and the office can have more business.
>Lisette

Lisette,

I DO know that in the medical field, whether it be veterinary or human,
the doctors, nurses, techs, assistants, etc., often wash/scrub before even
coming into the exam room.  However, if you are uncertain, you are most
welcome to ask the medical person to scrub (AGAIN) in your presence.  Most
doctors will not take offense to this.

Further, it is usually office practice to disinfect the room as soon as
the patient leaves... and before the next patient comes in.  Surfaces are
sprayed, papers are thrown away, etc.  Because this is a "janitorial" job,
it is preferred that it is not done in front of patients.  This practice
is akin to not washing dishes in a restaurant in front of the patrons.

I certainly do not subscribe to the idea that doctors DIScourage sanitation
procedures in order to generate more business.  Most vets are in that line
of work because they love animals and they are just as broken hearted
when an animal is ravaged by disease.  However, (speaking to the FML as a
whole), if you believe that your vet does not follow sanitation protocol,
then perhaps it is the time to make a few phone calls and immediately
withdraw your animal from the care of that vet.

Renee