From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:17:24 -0400
Oh boy do I know this story ALL to well.  No sooner had we brought our
ferret home (about four months ago), then he decided the couch was the
greatest place on earth.  He not only burrowed between the cushions, he was
able to get INSIDE the couch.  I was so paranoid about him getting squashed
that no one could sit when he was in there, and he loved to fall asleep
inside, almost impossible to coax him out.  I was also worried that he might
suffocate in there.

I took an old sheet and cut it into a narrow strip and hot glued it over the
crevice under the cushions that allowed Gargy into the couch, and that
worked..for awhile.  Even though he dug and dug at the strip, he couldn't
get it up, so he went for the more direct approach.  He started digging on
the side of the couch, and since our couch was made of a woven fabric, he
eventually dug a hole right into the side.  I patched that hole..and a new
one appeared.  So...we did what I'd hoped we wouldn't have to do all along,
and went and bought a futon couch.

It's the BEST thing we could have done.  It's very large (queen size) and is
just as cushy as our couch was, with wide flat arm rests..very comfortable,
not to mention we have a guest bed now, or we can lay in the living room if
we want, which has been handy lately as our fert is a bit under the weather.

Your fuzzy has nothing to burrow into, and the cover on the futon is
changeable, washable and durable, he can also walk underneath with ease
and no matter who is sitting on the couch it won't sag and squash him.

It's an expensive alternative (although generally cheaper than a new couch,
especially a sleeper sofa), but if you're going to have fuzzbutts in your
household for life, well worth it.

Robynn and Gargoyle (so..where did the couch go anyway?)