From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1992 10:44:08 -0500
> 1) What's the best way to go about introducing a new ferret into an
> already 1 ferret household?

We'd had Bandit for 8 months when we first brought Molly home as our
second ferrooty.  My husband held Molly and I held Bandit and we let
him smell her.  His reaction was violent trembling, which continued
for about 15-20 minutes.  I have no idea whether this was fear or
anticipation! Once we finally put them down and B-man stopped trembling,
his reaction was to beat the crap out of her to establish his
dominance, I assume, and they've been friends ever since.  Charlie came
into the picture two years later -- no trembling this time, but
Bandit and Molly beat him up (separately) and things were fine after
that.

Speaking of Bandit, our trip up to AMC yesterday was uneventful.
I was immediately impressed when I walked into the place -- you
know you are in a HOSPITAL -- except of course for the fact
that people are walking around with cat carriers & dogs on leashes.

The bad news is that Bandit has liver cancer. In fact he is probably
in surgery right now.  Dr. Karen Rosenthal says his spleen has to
come out, that it appears the cancer is in several places in his
liver.  The good news is that his liver function, according to his
bloodwork, as well as his red blood cell count & blood sugar are
normal. That, and she says ferrets are tough -- things that would
knock a dog or cat for a loop, she says, ferrets bounce (apt
word) right back.  So we are hopeful.  It doesn't look very
positive though.  Please send your good vibes Bandit's way. . .

Katie, Jeff, Molly & Charlie -> -> -> sending good vibes to Bandit