From:
Ferrets* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:31:58 +0100
>Be careful about intact females.  Whole females that are not bred can
>develop aplastic anemia, which is often fatal"

A private reply to my posting about whole ferrets, pointed out that they
could suffer from "aplastic anemia".

I pointed out that my present line of ferrets can be traced back to my
first polecat jill in 74 and as far as I know none of this line have
suffered from "aplastic anemia".

My oldest jill who is 13 years and 7 months old is still whole, my
youngest home bred jills are still whole 5 years and 7 months old and all
without problems.

Could the problem of aplastic anemia be in the way that ferrets are kept?