From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 03:41:50 -0500
THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone who sent me such helpful information and
assurance about Snowy's recent rapid weight gain, due to his prednisolone
medication.  He takes 1 mL (1 cc) of predisolone a day and LOVES it
although it isn't even flavored (I could get bubble-gum flavor if he was
resisting it but no problem there).

Looks like I'm going to have to make a dilligent effort to take him out
walking much more often so that he doesn't get lethargic and get the
common hind leg weakness.  He moves around at a fairly active, good pace
now, WHEN he's awake and he still walks with his unique "bounce" (it's
this hobble back and forth motion from side to side on his hind legs) but
it's not uncommon for him to sleep ALL day sometimes and I find myself
nudging him every once in a while just to make sure he's still alive!

I am hesitant about limiting his food intake since the medication, in all
honesty, is causing a legit increase in his appetite; Snowy's not just
eating out of boredom ... it's just that he's eating more than he burns
off (no different than human weight gain, right?) and doesn't know or
understand how to say "NO" and not eat so how can I deprive him when the
appetite increase (food craving) is not his fault?

And furthermore, if I WAS to limit his intake, how on earth would I do
that when he shares a cage and food with his roley-poley "sister" Sasha?
Even as pudgey as Sasha is, she still gets a clean bill of health from
her Doc and has maintained her 2.5# weight since January.

Most of the food related postings I see on FML are in an effort to help
fuzzies GAIN weight when they are sick (Bob's Chix gravy) but as
conscious as I am about how healthy and good my kiddos eat, is there
anything on the market or something I could make that reduces fat intake
but doesn't comprimise nutritutional value?  I'm not going to sacrifice
the necessary vitamins and minerals for a little less fat but I'm asking
if there is something available specifically for this kind of situation -
weight LOSS ???

Any suggestions or ideas?

Blessings to all of you and have a wonderful day!
Jen, Sasha & Snowy (and the new Seattle clan)