From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:06:18 -0500
>I recently lost a ferret :(, Jude, to what the doctor said was
>fatty liver disease.
>
>Does anyone know how common this is in ferrets, and if there is
>anyway to prevent it from occuring?

Dear X:

Fat accumulation is a very common finding in the liver of ill ferrets and
is not a disease entity in itself, but a result.  Fatty liver disease is a
documented illness in cats, but not in ferrets.  Unfortunately, it is very
likely that there is more to Jude's story than fat in the liver.  Ferrets
can mobilize incredible amounts of fat to the liver without interference
with hepatic function.  I am sorry for your loss.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

To join the Ferret Health List: