From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:15:03 -0400
>This is third hand, so I do not know if I have all of my facts straight.
>My neighbour just returned from Prague, Czech.  from visiting a friend
>with a ferret.  There are not a lot of ferrets there, so the vet is unsure
>how to proceed.  The abdomen is really swollen.  Some fluid with lipids
>was drawn off.  My first thought was cardiomyopathy, but apparently x-rays
>show the organs as normal.  I have attached a picture of the ferret, who
>looks like he also has adrenal disease, but I would assume at this point
>that is not his primary problem.  The friend is looking for any
>information as how to proceed.  I am sorry that I do not have anymore
>information.  Thank you,

Your first thought is a very good one.  We would need more information
about the x-ray findings to discount heart problems.  When the heart gets
weak, fluid backs up into the abdomen.

Two other possibilities are abdominal neoplasia, and most remotely, a
condition called chylous ascites, in which a fat-filled fluid precipitates
out into the abdomen - very rare.

At this point, more information on the X-rays, an analysis of the analyzed
fluids to include protein level, cell count, and cell analysis, and
routine bloodwork would be the way to go.  I realize that we are dealing
with Czechoslovakia, so echocardiography of the heart is probably not
available - but with this guy lets check the heart first, the heart
second, and the heart third.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM