From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:05:36 -0400
For a shelter that isn't-- Ferret Wise continues to be so very busy.

Friday Am shelter Mom- gathers up Casper-- the starvation case ferret (under
investigation) for a recheck at the vets.  Though Casper has been eating and
drinking-- stools are not healthy enough-- for her.  Three fecal checks have
shoen nothing-- so off we go for a 1 1/2 hr drive each way!  Casper is left
with the vet who first examined him and started the investigation notes...
though his coat is plush and good-- he is still thin, active-- and perky,
but something is off.  Shelter Mom also presents the symptoms of anemia--
his ears and nose pale-- bad stools-- a battery of tests ensues-- bringing
this kids vitist to $247.00

What we learn from the x-ray is there is no intestinal blockage-- though
there are old sutures from a previous surgery (? blockage or suspect
blockage) he is only approx 1 year old.  There is no inherent kidney or
liver problem from blood screen-- though albumion is low ( diarrhea).  and
finally we fiond the culprit coccidia.  Ahhh yes-- This is what weekly
fecals were not showing??  Hmm... so now

Shelter Mom arrives home in the evening with meds for all the shelter kids--
Why?  oh because Casper is a social butterfly-- he loves everyone-- and
everyone loves him andn they sniff and share community litterboxes when out.
This means shelter Mom in the best interest of all her wards has opted to
treat everyone.  and all the cages are stripped sterilized, all the bedding
is washed/ disinfected/ all the ferrets are weighed for careful dosing--
and the floors are cleaned then sanitized-- this only keeps us busy until
midnight!

I would rather have these "greenies" than those no one knows why and how--
I can count the small blessing!

And a new day begins on Sat AM-- with shelter appointments-- now Ewok wants
some quality time!  Can you believe it?  And another will arrive tomorrow--
because someone though a ferret was a great pet for a two year old-- now
this fur kid faces death row (or would have).

The sheltering continues-- thankfully 27 are housed our of facility or we
would still be cleaning cages!

We have been sending out many pamphlets on "Ten Tips on Coping with Pet
Loss" -- if you would like one send a SASE to Ferret Wise- Ten Tips,
PO Box 561, Marlborough, NH 03455-0561 !

FINALLY-
Thank you to the wonderful friend that sent a donation for the FML/SOS
Dollar fund!  This donation was well spent on meds today!

Please drop by and visit our shelter page at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html

Ferret Wise is a 501c3 tax exempt charity