From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:50:29 -0700
To all ferret lovers:

>At 10:30PM EDT Friday 25 September 1998, Ferret Friends Disaster
>Response International moved from Disaster Alert to DISASTER RESPONSE
status for the state of Florida due to Hurricane Georges.

There are several ferret shelters in South Florida that are in need of our
assistance.  These shelters have been flooded or damaged as a result of
Hurricane Georges.  There will be more damage when this hurricane hits the
gulf coast this weekend.  In addition, there is the potential for tornado
damage in many affected areas.  Chere McCoy, who lives over 100 miles from
the Florida Keys, watched in terror as a tornado passed less than one mile
from her mobile home at 10:58am Friday.

FFDRI has helped the Children of fur, feathers, scales, shells, and hooves
throughout the United States.  Let's do our share.  Just a little bit from
a lot of sources will take care of this emergency.  Remember, it may be our
turn next to receive aid.  The following items are needed immediately:

>Please begin to gather the following supplies:  Nutrical,  Pet Tonic,
>Laxatone (A.K.A.  Catlax), Bach's Rescue Remedy (both liquid and salve),
>Pet First Aid Kits, Old sweat shirts, towels, and pillowcase's (that can be
>used for bedding), Collars and leash's (they don't have to be new),
>Portable cages (these don't have to be new, but must be in good Condition).

If you live in the Pacific Northwest area, please email me back ASAP if you
can help with any of these items.  People in the Southwest should contact
Gary at [log in to unmask], in California, contact Linda at [log in to unmask],
or in the east, contact Chere at [log in to unmask]  These coordinators will
make arrangements for shipments from their areas.

I will be out and about this weekend and can pick up things throughout the
Portland area.  I would prefer to ship only light weight items.  Heavy
items are not cost effective to ship so cash donations would be preferable.
All cash donations will be used to buy items from Jeffers (such as Totally
Ferret, Nutra-cal, leashes, Pet-tinic, Laxatone, and litter pans) for a
direct shipment to the disaster areas.

If you would prefer to contribute separately, please visit
http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~ferretma/alerts.html
for further information.  The location for the shipment will be posted
there as soon as it is received from the Director.

Thank you.

          -Carla Almaraz
        Ferret Friends Disaster Response International