From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:56:36 EST
Sukie,

The kits born were from a mom who previously had a litter with the
same boy a year earlier.  All kits were fine, none of them were born
with crooked or stained teeth.  Mom and the babies were not given any
medications.  We started the Mazuri food 1 week before she was mated,
she was on the Mazuri food during her pregnancy.  Nothing was changed
except the food.  Everything was identifcal to the first pregnancy.
When the kits were about 4 weeks of age, we took them to three vets in
total, all of them asked what we changed and only thing was the food.
They each suggested that we take a closer look at the food and so we did
and noticed the ethoxyquin in the food.  Studies even back then were on
concerns of this preservative causing liver cancer including other health
problems and defects.

We took them off the food and we did not have a problem with any other
litters.  This girl had another litter the next year and no problem, no
stained or crooked teeth.  As I said, maybe a coincidence but too much
leads up to the food.  Others who used Mazuri who had problems with their
breedings and ferrets, changed food and then mysteriously things changed
for the better and they didnt have problems with their breedings.  Maybe
all coincidence but I just wanted to let others know who might be having
a problem that Ethoxyquin can be dangerous or cause problems.  The link I
provided yesterday lists tests done by Veternarians.  Please note that
Ethoxyquin is rated as a class 3 poison on a scale of 6 by OSHA.  A class
6 poison is lethal in a dose as small as 7 drops.  Ethoxyquin is used as
an insecticide and use to volcanize rubber.  I wanted to make sure people
were aware of the affects.  I only used it for 3 months in total and we
stopped.  Haven't had any problems like that one litter.  Maybe it was a
coincidence but it doesn't change the effects that Ethoxyquin can have on
the animals.

There are several other links such as the below that are interesting to
read:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/mp30/ethoxyquin.html
http://www.executec.com/nutra.htm
http://www.beaktreats.com/articles/food_for_thought.htm