From:
john rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:30:32 -0500
[Part 1]
 From: john rich [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
 Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 12:13 AM
 To: Customer Service (SSG)
 Subject: MR. FRANCIS...

Mr. Francis, my name is John Rich, and I feel I must talk to you, about
"Petsmart's" 'test-marketing' of selling baby ferrets!  You probably
have, and will continue, to hear from Ferret Rescues & Shelters!

I have shopped with my elderly Father many times in your store in Mays
Landing, N.J., accross from the "Hamilton Mall".  Your stores have always
'stood-out' from the others, as being very humane in your practices of
selling animals, especially helping the local Humane Societies, and the
spca!  PLEASE, in light of the overflowing rescues in our area, do NOT
begin to sell kits!!  Ferrets are a very specialized pet, and "impulse
buying" of these wonderful animals is very high!  Being the special
animals that they are, there are many "Ferret Forums" on the internet,
which have live discussions, & posts for the daily issues!  MANY people,
including myself, cannot imagine your stores contemplation on this
matter!!!  "Petco", has suffered the loss of many, many ferret owners,
because the aquisition of baby ferrets, is almost ALWAYS from the big
'Ferret-Mills', like Marshall Farms, Path Valley, & triple FFF!  These
"babies" are spayed/neutered/ & DE-SCENTED, way too early than is
recognized as being correct!  They are surgically altered, for two
things, before they are even CLOSE to the recommended ages for these
procedures!!  You DO know what 'puppy mills' are, I presume, and 'ferret
mills' are just as notorious!!  Your practice of 'only' shelter dogs &
cats being displayed, is to be commended!!  BUT, any decision to sell
"baby" ferrets, instead of welcoming local FERRET RESCUES & SHELTERS
INSIDE, as with the dogs & cats, will definitely be met with a drop
off of MANY customers who own & love ferrets!!  Remember, that there
is a very large market of ferret supplies, food, toys, vitamin & coat
supplements, cages, beds, etc.....NOW being bought at your stores!!!
This will change, if your policies change for the worse!  There are
many other places to shop for these products, and 'word of mouth',
around the world on forums, WILL make people re-think their shopping
locations for these supplies!!

I sincerely hope that you and your corporation, will do the right thing!!
If not, for me, instead of driving 30miles to your store, my supplies can
be bought at "ZOOS", in Vineland, at the Cumberland Mall!!!  I DO NOT
shop there now, BECAUSE of their sales of 6-8week old kits!!  Locally,
"Family Pet Center" has closed up, after at least 20yrs.of animal sales,
puppies & kittens, ESPECIALLY now, before the holidays, after a boycott
about their support of 'puppy mills' & FERRET FARMS!!!!  We got along
w/o them before, and also do not NEED your wares NOW!!!  Please do some
research about these 'rescues', and come to the correct & humane decision
on this issue!!

monitoring the situation closely,
John Rich Vineland, N.J. 08360

[Part 2]