From:
"Tikki Mite (Terry)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:53:58 EST
My heart and prayers go out to all of those who have lost their fur
children, wether it be from death from having roamed too from home.  The
fear, pain and self blame are unequaled to anything I've ever known.  One
thing I do know is to blame yourself is not the thing to do.  It doesn't
help.  I know, I've been there and done that.  Let your friends and the
folks here who understand help you over the rough spots.

I lost me first baby,Max, from liver and kidney shut down.  I don't know yet
to this day if there was anything I (or my vet) could have done differently.
I used to beat myself up terribly for it.  He had gotten weak in the hind
legs, I waited a day to take him to the vet.  He was put on antibiotcs and
seemed to get better.  He very suddenly took a turn for the worse and we
went back to the vet.  My vet could smell urine on his breath.  We again
tried antibiotics to no avail.  At this point I had 3 vets wroking with him.
Finally Dr Mark called me in and we talked.  He asked me to look into Max's
eyes.  Max was no longer there, just terrible pain and resignation.  At that
point we had him put to sleep.  I take comfort in the fact that Max knew I
loved him more than anything on earth.

I lost my little Montana to stress and stomach ulcers.  It hit so fast it
made my head spin.  I took him to the vet as soon as I saw a bad stool
(black /tarry).  However, our best efforts did no good and Montana was gone
before the day was out.  Again I keep beating myself up with "I should have
seen something sooner."

Again there was nothing I could do without being some sort of god.  I too
have been running around outside in various stages of dress, terrified that
one of my kids somehow, someway had gotten out.  The neighbors are 100% sure
I'm nuts.  I spent over an hour one evening looking for my Tikki.  I came
back inside in tears, planning my next form of attack only to find the
little stinker had put herself back to bed.  I've never nown such fear.  I
pride myself on being extremely careful but I know full well accidents
happen.  You cannot hold their little paws and be with them 100% of the time
they are playing.

Just be sure you love them the very best you can and if something ever does
happen those little ones know just how much you do love them.

Don't know if any of this makes any sense or helps any.  I hope it does  :-)
Ferrets, Gotta Love 'Em!!!!!

Terry and the Naughty, Nuzzling 19