Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:27:57 -0500
ANNOUNCING THE LATEST FERRET FOOD FAD

Well, I'm happy to tell you that Ramie and Chloe are feeling much better.
I'm happy to tell EVERYone - I went to work and said, Guess what!  My
ferrets are eating again!  (They weren't all that interested - but it's
a human service organization, so they had to pretend to be...)

A week + ago, after the predicted month with ECE, Ramie started to act
like his old self again - playful, friendly.  But he was still reluctant
to eat - I'd been offering chicken baby food, sometimes mixed with kibble,
and chicken gravy, which had been a great favorite.  No thank you!
(clenching his little teeth)

Then one day I was eating my breakfast of oatmeal, bananas, & soy milk.
Put the dish down.  And there's Ramie - lick lick lick.  Hmm.  He always
did like bananas...

So I invented ferret oatmeal - Totally Ferret, soy milk, a mashed slice of
banana, warmed in the microwave.  Oh, he ate like he'd been starving for a
month.  Which, of course, he had been... It's a week later now, and he's
eating his normal diet again - but he BEGs for soy milk.  Sometimes I'll
give him a little saucer of it.  Oh boy, mom, thanks!  Slurp slurp slurp

Then there's Chlo.  She has had a harder time getting better - I wrote to
the list several times with questions (thank you again Bruce Williams for
all your help!  and all the others who responded to my many questions).
She's getting a little prednisone now and with it has regained her appetite
(and 1/8 of a pound so far).  And what is the only thing she'll eat?
Ferret oatmeal! (without the bananas, tho - fruit is yucky.)  It's funny,
because Chloe has always been EXTREMELY narrow minded about what she would
eat - kibble and chicken gravy, and that's it.  anything else?  that's not
food!  But now?  Soy milk, yum!  The mixture has now had chicken baby food
& acidophilus mixed in too...

Well, whatever.  I can wean them off the soy and back onto the chicken
gravy once they are all fine again.  For now I am just relieved to see
them eat.  And pleased to be on the cutting edge of: the Latest Ferret
Food Fad!