Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:51:33 -0400
Fortunately, "most" ferrets don't bother electric cords but like everything
else, some will, and it only takes one time to have disastrous results.

Office supply stores carry tubes that will cover computer cords/cables,
etc.  and they should work pretty well.  For table lamps, we've rolled
excess cords, covered with duct tape and taped the excess over the outlet.
If you can't find something like this in your area, I'd cover the cords
with a thick layer of fabric, preferably a synthetic since some ferrets
love cotton, or batting, then cover that with duct tape or something she
can't bite into.

If you haven't read about Ben and his ordeal after biting into a television
cord, please do.
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/ben.htm

Ben has been doing wonderfully since his second surgery.  He's a chubby and
very happy little boy who loves to play with everyone.  Sometimes if it's
just the two of us, he entices me to play with him by running, nipping at
my legs wanting me to chase him.  Then he flies across the room and jumps
in my arms.  He's become the "Ambassador" for all the kids and the first
one I introduce new kids to after quarantine.

Ben had a thorough check up last week with our local vet, Dr. John Rossi,
and is absolutely perfect except for still having the tiny hole in his
mouth but it does appear to be a bit smaller.  He still only eats soup and
may always since there's no physical reason he won't eat kibble.  I suspect
there's a deep seated fear since he doesn't want anything at all in his
mouth, refuses Nutrical, Ferretone or any treat and only chews at the spout
on his water bottle occasionally.  I do watch to make sure there's bubbles
and that he's getting water when he wants it.  Dr. Rossi says Ben can do
just fine all his life if he only eats "duck soup" as it's a well balanced
diet but I do hope he'll eat softened food or kibble someday.  His weight
stays around 3 pounds .  The main thing is, Benji, my nickname for him, is
happy, doing really well and is very much loved.

It's thanks to the skills of Dr. Avery Bennett and Dr. Pye at the vet
teaching school in Gainesville that Ben doesn't have to live with a feeding
tube all his life.  Dr. Bennett is now in California so those of you there
are very lucky if you need a wonderful, ferret knowledgeable vet.  I do
have the phone number for him if you need it.  Dr. Pye is finishing his
residency elsewhere but there are still many good vets at the University
of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine.

You can't be too careful with ferrets.  Their natural curiosity or even
boredom can get them into trouble so it's up to us to be sure they're
protected.  They're pretty darn good at outsmarting us no matter how well
we think we've ferret-proofed!

Happy Ferreting!
Jackie