From:
Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 23:42:55 -0400
A big thank you is in order for everyone whose concerned phone calls, letters
and faxes showed the USFWS it could not hide behind a bureaucratic wall
forever. We grieve with Carolyn Kinsey for the 14 "pioneer oldsters" who had
to sacrifice their lives (all were eaten by coyotes before a week was up)  to
get USFWS to see the error of its ways. But  no one should feel those efforts
were wasted.

It seems clear that all our interventions were largely responsible for  three
important gains: first, the initial trial group was dramatically downsized;
second, they realized after the mortality results came in that the flak level
would simply be too intense to go ahead with the second planned release on
 June 19th (now cancelled) ; and third, according to Larry Shanks, region 6
director for endangered species, USFWS is now going to offer superannuated
ferrets to any responsible zoo that will have them--not just those who helped
finance the captive breeding program--and will entertain proposals for
responsible care-taker programs for any still left over.

Assuming USFWS follows through in good faith on those commitments, I believe
they deserve support in their efforts to keep the black-footed ferret program
alive, as well as everyone's best wishes in their painful struggle to
re-establish a self-sustaining feral population of this rare and beautiful
animal.

Howard Davis
Humane Affairs Coordinator
League of Independent Ferret Enthusiasts