Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:28:18 -0700
After being on antibiotics for 14 days, the vet says Sandy has a fungal
infection; that was his first thought, but he tried antibiotics anyway in
case he was wrong.  Since throat infections are rare in pets, especially
ferrets, this one is a real stumper.  Her temp this morning was still
102.4, as it has been for two weeks.  Our vet is consulting some info
on fungal diseases, especially cryptococcosis, that you all helped me
find, plus the lab he uses to determine blood tests before proceeding.
Cryptococcosis is the most likely diagnosis for a variety of reasons:
not contageous, dark brown fungal matter, increased appetite while losing
weight and nerve damage (Sandy often walks on her leg rather than her
feet on the front).  Since this was mistakenly diagnosed as alergies over
a year ago by another vet, the disease has progressed to a dangerous
level.

Since most fungal medications, such as Sporonox, have the side effect of
damaging kidneys/livers over prolonged use and recovery from a severe
fungal infection like cryptococcosis can take over a year (less than
six months if caught early - not us), we may not choose to have her go
through a few months of strong meds before she sees great improvement and
almost certain lasting damage to some vital organs.  It is very difficult
to write that, especially since we just lost Pirate last week and Sandy
is not even three yet, but I can't stand to see her suffer much more;
suffering is exactly what she is doing, since she just lays there, not
even lifting her head to greet her friends and pooping everywhere (she
never in her life went anywhere but the litter corners, so she's really
not feeling well).  Treatment for the moment, thanks to a FML'er's
knowledgeable advice, is to use Pred to reduce coughing; the Pred has
really kept the stress sounds out of her breathing, so I say a big thanks
to whichever FML'er wrote me about that (so many emails, just took notes
and not names).  I will update when ther is more to say.  Please pray for
our Sandy.

 From:
 Lori and the Brats

P.S.: Although she is eating like three ferrets and has normal (if a lot)
poops, she is only at 1 lb. 2 oz., and looking very skinny.