From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:06:38 -0400
Hi All,
Here is the latest on Sterling Ferret Wise.  Nine days post surgical we are
waiting for the biopsy results and Sterling still requires feedings -- but
has graduated to taking gruel from a spoon and sometimes out of bowl-- no
more dropper!  He still receives carafate and amoxycillan in addition to
his nutrition.  He is freely drinking water from a bottle in his cage,
and the water bowl during his after meal excercise walks.  He is still
extremely thin, somewhat jaundiced, he stools are improving in formation,
and color-- as well as in volume!  The best news is -- his attitude and
activity level are picking up!

I have high hopes we will be able to place him on the permanent hospice
list and find him a placement home in the near future.  We are unable to
determine, at this point, if he will accept other ferrets.  We will hold
off with introductions to other ferrets until Sterling has gained some
substantial weight.  He is still just under the one pound weight mark --
but I have hopes he will break that in the next few days.  It is remarkable
that he has come this far - when I reflect back upon the skeletal being he
was at intake - so dehydrated and malnourished upon admission to Ferret
Wise.  Sterling is a testiment to fighting to the end-- I will give him
that.

His sutures will be removed in a few days-- the healing is a little behind
what I would like to see, but he had not a lot to work with.  He is being
more aggressive in his mobility with crawling through ferret tubes, and
exploring.  This is certainly good sight to behold.  I will anxiously await
the future reports when I can tell you he is eating on his own, and the
jaundice has faded for good -- until then I will work ever so hard to
encourage his intake of ferret kibble -- though I realize it takes a while
for a biopsied belly to heal.

We have an update pic image of Sterling taken 7-19-2000 available for
viewing to anyone who requests it!  Thanks to Lana, Jean S, and Linda S
for their foster donations to assist Sterling!

Also Ferret Wise will be journeying to an elementary school in Western MA
mid September for a "Know the Ferret" presentation.  We hope to soon have
our own history of the American ferret coloring primer ready to print--
and are currently seeking grants or support to assist in this project.

Ferret Wise has begun it's NH 4-H programs with a special interest program
on ferrets this year (Aug 2000) indivdual 4-H ferret owners will erect
individualized exhibits at the local agricultural fair.  Beginning in 2001
the Ferret Wise 4-H program will include an actual ferret day complete
with exhibits, and standards judging on hygiene, care & conformation.  Our
educational programs are finally blossoming!

To those who are interested in seeing carefully crafted ferret beds - which
assist us in keeping the shelter kids fed & healthy should check out the
following ebay auctions which deadline 7-20 to about 7-27th at:
Celestial sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381821982
Flat Hammock with Angels
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381804196
Safari Design Sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381936140
Elegant Floral Sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=382086842
Hot Chili Peppers Sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=382105210
Springtime Violets Sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=382699868
Floral & Denim Flat Hammock
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itme=384390913
Unique Native American Print Peeper Sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=384390913
Fruit Salad Design-- Deluxe top sleeper hammock
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=384390913

The kids ( and shelter folks) will appreciate your support--
Please visit our web page at
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html
and read more about our programs and residents!