From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:49:51 -0500
Hi, I won't speak to much to the adrenal issue other than to say you
don't need to remove the glands-surgery is only necessary if they are
tumorous or causing problems.  There is a high possibility that Binky
may have adrenal problems someday, because sadly the problem is pretty
prevalent, but the glands themselves are not something to be removed
preventatively.  Some signs of adrenal gland tumors can be hair loss,
aggression, etc-there is a lot of info on this in the FML and FHL
archives, and you can try the Ferrets For Dummies book (a great book for
any ferret owner anyway-essential, I think).

As to color, our Nicky was also very light as a baby, and his coat
darkened considerably as he grew older.  He is now a chocolaty sable-the
guard hairs, the longer dark hairs, are what show this particular color
change the most, and the lighter fur you see is like an undercoat.  If
Binky was a baby when you got him, this is likely not a seasonal change,
but a permanent one, though seasonal coat color changes are pretty
common, too.

Hope that helps!

-April

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"