Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:06:05 -0500
Lifespan can be affected by many different factors. Genetics, diet,
living conditons, etc. My personal opinion is that the overvaccinating
of people and animals is a big contributer to quality of life and
lifespan. Then toss in the diet and living conditions, the genetic
predisposition to a disease that may already be there, and all those
factors can play a role in lifespan and the quality of life. The family
history plays a part. We probably all know people who have smoked for
years and lived a long life, and someone who never did and got lung
cancer. Or have heart problems run in the family. You can't change
genetics, you can just try and take preventative measures with you and
your pets health.

As for raw and salmonella, you use basic safe meat handling practices
just like you do when you cook and eat meat yourself. Feed them in one
area, clean up that area, clean your counters, etc. And don't forget
that kibble itself can and has been tainted with salmonella. And who
didn't hear about the recent case with spinach? Is everyone going to
forgoe vegetables now because they might have salmonella? So nothing
100% safe. Kiblle may have toxins from bad grains being used as was the
case with Eagle I believe, that killed many dogs and gave irreversible
kidney problems to many more. At least if you are buying the meat you
know where it came from, how it was stored and handled, and how you fed
it.

Point being, everything can affect lifespan. I think the quality of
that life is more important than the length. I have 2 that are going
to be 9. They are fed kibble, are free roam in there own room with no
artificial lighting, and have not been vaccinated in 7 years, or been
to the vets. They don't have adrenal, insulnomia or any of the other
diseases most seem to have by this age. I contribute this to both not
overvaccinating them and their living conditions. Now if I could get
them to switch to raw, I do believe they could be even healthier or
maybe that would be the key to a longer life for them. And maybe they
both have good genetics?

We should be more concerned about the quality of life our ferrets have
while they are alive, then how long they live.

~Amy~