From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 20:36:51 -0700
When a person has multiple ferrets over the period of 12 years, losing one
happens too often.  But I've learned something with every ferret.  With
my most recent loss, I learned to research everything you can about any
medical condition you may encounter.  Ask.  Question.  Inquire.  Read.
Surf.  And push your vet to do the same.  Do whatever it takes to be as
intelligent as you can and make the right decisions for *your* ferret.

Two years eight months ago, one of my ferrets was condemned to die by a
vet.  I told the vet "NO".  I began researching and went to a true ferret
vet.  Together, we treated my guy and learned a whole lot in the process.
We learned that lasix can be a lifesaver at higher than recommended limits.

After almost 3,900 shots (4 -5 shots a day for 2 years 8 months) of
injectable SQ lasix at many times of the maximum recommended dosage, and
with concurrent adrenal and insulinoma disease, my precious Dancing Bear
quietly passed away in my arms at 7:45 Friday morning.

DB actually looked forward to his shots because he knew that a wonderful
meal followed the shot.  We found that the oral Lasix just wouldn't work
for DB.  About 99.99% of the time, he never even flinched when I gave him
the shot.  And I wouldn't have let him suffer.

Now he is is romping with his special friends that preceeded him across
the bridge.

His legacy to all of you is to educate yourself.  Do it for your ferrets.
Thank you.

-Carla