From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:49:37 -0700
>I am told by my vets that I do not need a license to give distemper
>vaccine,

Extracted from the Colorado Revised Statutes:

C.R.S. 12-64-103 (1999)  12-64-103. Definitions
10) "Practice of veterinary medicine" means any of the following:
     (a) The diagnosing, treating, correcting, changing, relieving, or
preventing of animal disease, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical
or mental conditions, including the prescription or administration of any
drug, medicine, biologic, apparatus, application, anesthetic, or other
therapeutic or diagnostic substance or technique and the use of any
manual or mechanical procedure for artificial insemination, for ova
transplantation, for testing for pregnancy, or for correcting sterility
or infertility or to render advice or recommendation with regard thereto;
     (b) The representation, directly or indirectly, publicly or
privately, of an ability and willingness to do an act described in
paragraph (a) of this subsection (10);

C.R.S. 12-64-114 (1999)  12-64-114. Enforcement
     (1) No person who practices veterinary medicine without a currently
valid license may receive any compensation for services so rendered.
     (2) Any person who practices veterinary medicine without a license
commits a class 3 misdemeanor and shall be punished as provided in section
18-1-106, C.R.S.  Each act of such unlawful practice shall constitute a
distinct and separate offense.
     (3) The board or any citizen of this state may bring an action to
enjoin any person from practicing veterinary medicine without a currently
valid license.  If the court finds that the person is violating, or is
threatening to violate, this article, it may enter an injunction
restraining him from such unlawful acts.

>You see, there is a difference between practicing veterinary medicine
>and being a good samaritan..

Not according to your state statutes.  Statute 13-21-108 only covers
people.

>I do whatever it takes and with whatever means are at my disposal,
>and worry about the consequences of my actions later.

C.R.S. 18-1-106 (1999)
(1) Misdemeanors are divided into three classes which are distinguished
from one another by the following penalties which are authorized upon
conviction except as provided in subsection (1.5) of this section:
  Class    Minimum Sentence              Maximum Sentence

   3       Fifty dollars fine            seven hundred fifty dollars fine
           Six months imprisonment,      or both

Since *each* act is a separate violation, 2000 offenses would work out to
a minimum $100,000 fine to a maximum of $1,500,000 fine and 1,000 years in
jail - if my math was correct.  That's a mighty long time to be away from
ferrets and a mighty big sum of money to pay in fines.

    -Carla