From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:57:36 EST
Roary my friend, while I agree with much of what you said.  I would go
the education route first rather than making it so that people of modest
means couldn't own a ferret.

We are all not perfect.  Looking back on my little ones, just as with my
grown children, I see many things I would do/am doing differently.  But,
unfortunately, being human and prone to error, we may not make those
mistakes, but we will make DIFFERENT ones.

My point being, no matter how "perfect" a parent we try to be to our
children, both four and two legged, we screw up.  And all of us with
modest means don't deprive our fuzzies any more than we would deprive our
two legged children.  I joke that "Most people have an RC Willey Bill
(that's a famous furniture chain out here), I have a revolving vet bill."
I am lucky to have a vet that lets me write checks in advance to cover
what has been done.

I realize that was not the point of your post.  I also realize you were
being rather sardonic.  I do get the idea.

I just wanted to throw my two cents worth into the ring, before some
people who are "new" might feel like they should not own a ferret if they
are not very wealthy.  I'm not saying keep adding ferrets beyond your
capacity to care for them emotionally, physically, and medically.  I also
feel that if you are going to own one and do not already, check into the
cost of veterinary care.  See what, if any, arrangements your vet will
allow.  Make sure your vet has had experience with ferrets, etc., etc.,
etc.

Believe me, this was NOT meant in any way to be an attack.  Just a few
comments from "Behind the Zion Curtain."

Catherine
Behind The Zion Curtain

"No one looks good in paisley...." - Elle Woods