From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:37:21 -0500
>[Moderator's note: I sent Debbie the list.  One way to get it is to e-mail
>[log in to unmask] and place the text:
>GET SHELTER LISTS FERRET
>in the body of the e-mail. Note the final S on the word LISTS -- sorry,
>that's a server restriction.  BIG]

Another way to find the SOS list is to go to:
and look in  the Files section. With such important things available
in multiple places folks are covered when one server has problems.
That's one reason that there are cross-posts,too.

Many aspects of the FHL are available to non-members, but only members may
post.

BTW, combining that with the recommended vets list there is a fine way
to find a vet, whether for regular use or when traveling as many do this
season.

I know that Bill doesn't tend to mention it, but those folks who have
never read the header to the daily FML really should; there are a number
of interesting things in there to help folks!  Bill's given an incredible
amount of thought and effort to having an excellent resource; no wonder
it's the most popular ferret list available!

While we are on the subject of the FML:  thank you so very much for
the huge amount of work you put in, Bill!

MFs: most of what one hears is either based on anecdotal experiences
(which may be good, bad, or average -- depending on household), rumor,
very old and defunct reports, or false reports.  What IS true is that
they also sell ferrets to laboratories, and their sterilizations are
done by techs rather than vets.  That is what it boils down to.

Oh, and every other large farm (There are at least 4 others) has its own
list of problems, so it's pick and choose.  We brought two home directly
years ago from one other large farm only to have ECE break out in our
household for the first time.

For the healthiest ferrets go for ones that are bred by people who keep
detailed health records for parents, sibs, half-sibs, aunts and uncles,
etc.  and who follow the health of ferrets after they leave when possible
(not always possible due to personal interaction problems, folks moving,
etc.).  Do not confuse show-winnings with winning health; sometimes those
two groups over-lap and sometimes they don't.  For dogs, cats, and horses
shows have meant many decreases in health and longevity when appearances
are placed first since appearances that please human aesthetics do not
always go along with healthy genetics.  Insist on health and longevity
records!  Health and longevity first!

The worst ferrets in terms of health are from backyard breeders who
in-breed like crazy and provide terrible care.  Some of these ferrets have
been found being falsely sold as coming from farms.  That's the sort of
thing that breeders alone likely can't manage usually so it requires the
collusion of distributors or stores.  Still, it happens because the farms
are well-known and advertise a lot, so their names are recognizable to
those who are unaware of alternative sources beyond stores for ferrets.

As Bill has said you can read about MF forever by going to the archives.
If you read the header for any given issue of the FML you will find info
on the archives there.  Way too few people have paid attention to the
header so here is PART of it, and also go to the top and read the rest!