From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:13:47 -0400
The quote I published regarding the ferret x mink cross is ALL the info I
have available on the subject.  For more info you might want to contact a
fur ranch who actually does this stuff.

>However, the querry to put before the readers is: What would be the
>biological nomenclature (Genus, species, subspecies) of mink/ferret
>hybrids and how would one arrive at a common name?

I think infertile hybrids aren't considered to be a species unto
themselves, and aren't given names of their own.

>Since being infertile, would she ever develop estrus?  Just what does
>"infertile" mean in this instance - maldeveloped reproductive organs ?
>inability to produce ova?  inability to achieve uterine implantation?
>Incomplete metamorphosis at the metaphase stage of mitosis of the zygote?

Interesting questions.  I don't know what the effects of the cross might be
on the reproductive tract.  Since they are 'whole' in all other ways, I'd
expect it *not* to be maldeveloped reproductive organs, but probably
something else.  There is probably little published info on this, but the
same phenomenom exists in mules (being sterile crosses of a donkey and a
horse), you might find your answer by searching literature on that.

>One might assume that the mink rancher, X-breeding mink hobs to ferret
>jills, would likely not have too much concern about aplastic anemia in the
>hybrid because she'd be anally/orally electrocuted after reaching peak fur
>quality, probably long before she ever developed estrus.

I agree they'd be killed before aplastic anemia was a problem.  However the
method I've heard about involves chloroform jars.  That was quite awhile
ago, I've no interest in keeping up with the latest on fur ranching
techniques.  (When in high school I worked part time for a woman who ran
an anti-vivisectionist group, so I saw a lot of material then.  Ick.)

>Also one could assume that mink/ferret mustelids, with the densely packed
>short-bristled fur of the mink and the longer hair shafts ot the ferret,
>whatever that combination would look and feel like, why this X-breeding
>has not been widely done so far?

It probably would have some of the minks temperment as well- this wouldn't
make it a good pet.

>Such a mustelid would have the strength and musculature of the mink (far
>superior to the ferret), and being infertile and possibly never displaying
>estrus, would never have to be spayed.

I suspect the females *would* have to be spayed.  But I'm guessing.

-Ilena Ayala

[P.S.]
After sending the information above I did some reading on mule sterility.

I'll spare you the details, but basically, if you extrapolate this same
phenomenom to the mink x ferret cross, the probable result is an animal
that is physically normal in all respects, will come into heat/rut and be
able to mate, but who can't produce offspring because the genetic
ingredients just don't go together properly.

Oh, and remember that in the ferret x mink cross it is probably not the
*American* mink, but the European mink that works.  (Thanks to Bob C. for
pointing that out.  Makes sense since the reference I have is from the UK.)

-Ilena Ayala