From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1992 04:54:24 -0400
Please post this anonymously, the ferret ban has not been lifted in our
state yet.

To the person who was thinking about getting a ferret:

I has yet to meet anyone who is allergic to ferrets.  I'm sure they're
out there, but there seems to be absolutely no correlation between being
allergic to cats and to ferrets.  Handle and play with some ferrets if
you're afraid you might be.

[We know someone who claims to be allergic to ferrets, but not
cats or dogs.  Long story, never mind.]

Cages: Read this list for a while, and you'll realize that anything
goes.  After building our own, we found better success with commercial
cages (assuming you don't have more than 2 weasels).  The fold-up wire
terrier cages are excellent, especially if you're a student and move
around a lot.  They have slide-out plastic trays in the bottom, clean
easily, but I had to add some 1/4-inch wire mesh around the bottom where
the ferrets could get out.  Post to this list if you want more info on
these types of cages.  Recently, though, we've been keeping Nancy in a
large Kennel Cab.  We assemble the top & bottom halves with binder clips
for easy access to clean the litterbox.  The bottom is a plastic-coated
wire grate suspended about 1/2-inch above the floor.  We put cedar chips
under it to keep everything (Nancy included) smelling fresh; especially
useful in the summer.  It's also solving the problem we have of Nancy
stashing kibbles everywhere.  She's taken to flipping her food dish in
the cage, so that when we let her out, she can hide kibbles in the
laundry basket.  Unfortunately for her, the food drops below the grate,
and she can't get it later.

Good luck.

To Bill Gruber:

Since ferret owners seem to be fielding the same questions over & over
from new/potential owners, I think it would be a good idea to put "basic
ferret info" in files on the server.  Suggested topics:

-- Books available about ferrets, critiqued.
-- Whether or not a ferret would be a good pet for you.
-- Ferret-proofing your house/apartment.
-- Choosing a ferret.
-- Cages, food, toys.

[I don't have the time to write any of this.  It would be nice
of a few people would root thru the old issues and come up with
short sections on each of the items.  I'll review them and insert
them into the faq.  Then I can ship the FAQ to each new member.
On the other hand, it'd probably reduce traffic.]

Ferret diseases probably shouldn't go on the server, because the info is
changing so rapidly.  It should really be for archiving answers to
commonly-asked basic questions.  Also, when new people subscribe, they
should be told how to get these files and the back issues.