From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:22:50 -0400
Dick Bossart wrote:

>and Nala out while we were gone.  Our place is so "ferretproof" I really
>wasn't too worried (I know, I know - how about "ferret resistant"?
>ferret-almost safe?  ferret best we've been able to do after over 400
>ferrets?) Anyway, we

'Ferret-proof' is an oxymoron.  It describes a state that cannot possibly be
attained; a paradox of the Schrodinger's variety.  Have we successfully
ferret-proofed the room?  We have to put the ferret into the room and leave
it unattended and close the door.  We sit outside, wondering.  Is the room
ferret-proof?  Is it not?  We won't know until we go INTO the room and look
to see: a) ferret and no destruction or b) no ferret and plenty o' chaos.
But we're torn between the two alternatives.  Do we really WANT to go into
the room and see the state of the carpeting, or would we rather turn a blind
eye to the situation and pretend that the TV hasn't been dragged into the
closet?  By opening the door, we may not exactly be dealing with one of the
great scientific paradoxes of all time, but we'll certainly be opening
ourselves up to disbelief and frustration.

Melissa, who lost the last piece of ferret-proof furniture in the ferret
room, thanks to NOODLE.  Grrrr.

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters