From:
mellisad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:10:13 -0500
Over the weekend, my husband and I stepped foot back in the Trussville AL
Pet Supermarket that was responsible for the horrible neglect of Hope.
It was the first time either of us had returned to the store, and our
intention was just to make sure the animals were okay, especially the
ferrets and kittens.  We really expected to be treated rudely, given our
complaints opened a humane society investigation, a police investigation,
and ultimately cost the store a great deal in vet bills to have EVERY
single animal (even the different species of birds, rabbits, guinea pigs,
etc.).

Much to our surprise, an employee (Brenda) that was prohibited from taking
any action to get veterinary care, welcomed us.  She immediately asked us
how "Hope" was doing - I suppose she had been reading my website, or she
would not have otherwise known her name.  She was very kind and walked
with us to take a look at the animals.

The single remaining ferret looked great - fat and healthy.  The kittens
looked well too.  We chatted for a bit, really just small talk about the
remaining ferret.  She did point out the fact my letter was received and
given to the district manager, with the enclosed pictures.  She was VERY
nice to us, and bless her heart, I think she understood that my problem
was with management - not her.

I am pleased to report all the animals appeared to be in healthy
conditions, and no sign what-so-ever of any type of abuse, illness, or
neglect.  We will continue to check in on occassion just to make sure no
more animals suffer the same as Hope did.  Thankfully, next time a simple
call to the police or humane society will warrant prosecution and removal
of the animals.  The store has been warned, and given the opportunity to
clean up their act.  Their excuses ran out.  Many eyes will be watching.

Hope is doing great!  Even though she is not growing much, she is still
putting on a lot of weight and muscle.  She is a complete ball of energy.
She still chatters for affection, but prefers a good game of chase!  She
follows us everywhere!  Hope was recently introduced to our other two
ferrets.  They all get along so well.  Cid has become her best playmate,
although I think he may have taught her to hiss.

Mellisa (Cid, Boo, and Hope)
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hopebetter.html