From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 08:25:28 -0800
>From:    Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: hobs in rut
>A response to the Killians-

This is getting silly... If you disagree with what we write that is your
perogative.  But we are not misinterpreting what you said.  We feel by your
descriptino that your hobs are agressive, and it is NOT due to being in rut.
You originally posted disagreeing with us when we said hobs in rut do not
become aggressive to humans because of the hormones.

Agressive ferrets can go into rut and will remain aggressive.  Well tempered
ferrets can go into rut and will remain well tempered.

Do whatever you wish.  Decide for yourself what is and is not acceptable
behavior for your ferrets and what traits you wish to pass off to others
that adopt kits from your lines.

>The other treats me as if I was his Jill- grabbing at my legs/hands/etc.
>and trying to pull me off with him.  Hardly "mean" behavior- I am
>flattered that he feels highly enough of me to want me for his mate.

Ferrets mate out of sexual drive from hormones and an instinct to mate not
out of love.

Our choice is to not breed hobs that are territorial to the point of
defending their cage from people trying to feed him.  We do not think it is
in the best interest of the breed to pass this aggressive trait along.  Feel
free to disagree.  We will feel free to disagree with your choices as well.

>I am deeply offended by your implication that I am irresponsible with my
>hobs, that I breed hobs with temperment problems, and that I mistreat my
>hobs in any way.  This is about as far from the truth as it gets.

We have never said you mistreat your ferrets.

>I strongly beleive that breeding needs to be done for temperment, then
>health, then everything else.  I am assuming you are including body
>conformation under what I would call health.

Breeding needs to be done for ALL aspects of a ferrets makeup.  It would be
a mistake to order the aspects.  It would be a mistake to breed a well
tempered ferret with a bad body structure.  It would be a mistake to breed a
well built ferret that bites its owner everytime the ferret is fed.  It
would be far better to breed a well tempered ferret that is also well built.

It would be a mistake to drive an automobile that has no wheels and it would
be a mistake to drive an automobile that has no engine.  Instead drive an
auto with both wheels and an engine.  But one should also make sure it has
brakes, lights, seats, etc.

If you choose to call the muscle and skeletal structure of a ferret health
thats your choice but expect people to be confused.  A tall human is no more
healthy than a short one just as a long ferret is no more healthy than a
short one.  Health issues can affect the structure but it isn't the same
thing.  But one should only breed healthy ferrets for other reasons.

There is no shortage of ferret hobs.  Be excruciatingly selective.

There are far too many ferret breeders who make no effort to really
understand even a few aspects of animal husbandry.  There are far too few
who fully understand most aspects.  We are trying to become part of that
second group.  Reading books on other species is most of what we try as
there really is nothing out there on ferrets specifically.

A ferret in the US is in the US not in Australia.  If they were originally
from Australia (not from parents that were fro Australia) they will adjust
to the Northern hemisphere's light cycles.  A ferret from the Northern
hemisphere that moves South of the Equator will adjust to the Southern light
cycles.  The offspring of an immigrant will not inherit the timing of its
parents if they are from the other side of the equator.

Typically a stressful situation in a ferret's life wuold take them out of
rut not keep them in.

But this is it for us.  This is not productive or intersting anymore for
others if its going to be just "taking offense" for no reason or
"disagreeing" just to disagree.  If you want to continue that please send
private email to avoid bothering the list.  You've made it clear over time
that you do not like us even though you've never met us.  No need to
reiterate.  We really have no feelings about you as a person.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]