From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:01:30 -0700
I am just catching up on FMLs from the past two weeks, after being on
vacation.

To the person that first began the newest MF thread, I highly recommend you
go through the FML archives and read the posts on this ferret mill.  The MF
debate has raged on the FML and nothing is ever resolved.  There are two or
three posters who always defend Marshall, stating that they have "inside"
sources at the company but they will not divulge who or what position their
contact holds within the company (requested via private email exchange).
Please keep in mind, while reading this post, that I never had any qualms
about Marshall Farms until I started experiencing some very bad things in
relation to them.  I don't care for several practices I have seen from
Triple F either, so it is not just Marshall Farms that are in question by
me.  I care about ALL ferrets.

Marshall Farms has been asked repeatedly (by me and others), to make a post
on the FML regarding concerns and it has also been suggested to them that
they can put all the "rumors" to rest if they would provide some answers
to breeding questions, etc...I have spoken with a "higher-up" at Marshall
Farms and I am happy to provide a name and phone number via private email
exchange (I wont post it to the public without prior consent), then you can
call and hear their excuses and lack of knowledge on ferrets first hand
(oops, had to put my personal experiences in).  Keep in mind, that Marshall
Farms will not allow outside visitors to the breeding area and states that
it is because of the possibility of germs.  I have gone as far as to state
that this person could wear a hazmat suit, but they cannot come up with a
good explanation on why that would not work.  I believe it is to Marshall
Farms benefit to allow someone (a knowledgeable private party) to visit the
breeding facility and it raises even more red flags in my eyes that they
wont do this.  Also, three vets here in my state, do not feel MF is a good
place and shudder at all the young ferrets they have seen from there with
chronic health problems.  I wont even go into the way they ship ferrets -
which has NOT changed (yes, I have seen this with my own eyes).

My most recent question to them via their customer service email address (a
very simple question) was how they can require that the ferret be fed MF
food for the one year guarantee to be valid, when I visit pet stores all
the time that do NOT feed MF food and have told me it is because of the
smell (fish content of food causes stench in fecal matter) and that these
same stores recommend Totally Ferret instead.  In fact, some stores who
carry MF ferrets do not carry MF food (that is a real head-scratcher).  I
never got a response to this question, after submitting the email twice.
As usual, great customer service.

I encourage you to view some of my posts on experiences I have had with
Marshall Farms, as well as others.  Then, you should call Marshall Farms
and ask some of the same questions I have raised.  You will then be able to
conclude if they are knowledgable and/or responsible breeders.  I do not
encourage anyone to draw a conclusion solely based on what they read...you
need to base it on your own experiences/conversations with Marshall Farms.
Also, someone wrote something to the effect that there is a small group who
bashes Marshall Farms (I don't remember the exact words), but there are
MANY people who "bash" Marshall Farms based on their own past and present
experiences...and not much else.  I have not encountered anyone who just
reads stuff on the Internet about them and then starts bashing them from
that.  There are plenty on this FML who have had to endure the loss of a
young kit from MF to juvenile lymphosarcoma.  Many (at least 10) emailed me
about this and how it was handled by Marshall Farms.  I wont elaborate any
further...just encourage you to go through the archives and read my posts.

Please call Marshall Farms with your questions and see if they provide you
with accurate information.  That is the only way for you to draw a fair
conclusion.

As far as ferret temperment, etc....I have not found MF ferrets to be any
more OR less friendly than any other ferrets (small breeders or large
farms).  Whatever the origin of your ferrets, enjoy!  Ferrets are fabulous!

Take care all.