From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:19:25 -0500
Debi asks:
>Have YOU ever seen anaphylactic shock in a ferret??

Yes, in our 25 years with ferrets we have had several who did so.  Two
of them who were allergic to vaccines came extremely close to dying
and needed an oxygen chamber as well as epi, fluids, steroids,
antihistamines, etc.  One who was allergic to an antibiotic almost made
it but then failed during his second day of supportive care.  Of the
vaccine allergies most here were allergic to Fervac, but we also had
some allergic to Galaxy, and two to IMRAB 3.

I have also seen anaphylactic shock in people and as a preteen I was
taught how to cut down and place an emergency stoma in my kid sister's
throat because our family physician said that my parents would probably
faint if they ever had to (but have since forgotten which count of
cartilage space is optimal).  My husband, his mom, my sister, my father,
and I are all prone to anaphylactic shock.  I'm actually the one in the
family who does it the most often which is probably why I am so
philosophical about it; it's a feeling I know well and a topic I have
had to learn a lot about.  I carry two preloaded injectors with epi,
prednisone, extra Singulair, and Benedryl.  (Prednisone is usually the
second med to take after the initial injection, but I have glaucoma these
days and with that or ocular hypertension the current -- and for me very
effective -- experimental substitute to avoid using Pred is to take two
Singulair to keep down lung inflammation.  That is because taking
steroids can blind a person who has glaucoma, but if things get too out
of hand it could be needed anyway.) The third med humans take is the
antihistamine.

So, yeah, I have seen anaphylactic shock a lot, and I also know how it
feels and I have come extremely close to dying of it once though usually
we get emergency care rapidly enough, and for the ones who pass out I
have been told and have read about the experience.  BTW, the time I
almost died they bumped a man with a broken arm out of his ER cubicle
to put me in.  I had to be told that because by then I had lost a lot
a fluid and red blood cells that had carried along with it across the
intestinal membrane, I could not swallow, and my face was so swollen that
I was unrecognizable and could not see from the swelling.  I required
multiple Epi shots, and was lucky to avoid a stoma; when my eyes could
open I found that a stoma kit was on the table next to my cot ready for
use.  Even then I got silly from the epi, though not at first.  At first
I was very worried about the person next to me who I could hear but not
see because she was a kid with grande mal seizures who was having a
really hard time of it.  Afterward, though -- I guess it was at least 10
hours before we were allowed to go home -- I saw a wee hours movie that I
later realized was horrid, but I was so full of epi that I was convinced
that it was the height of humor.  I've discussed this reaction with the
allergists and found that it is not an unusual response to Epi.  The
other common response to epi is to panic, but that is more commonly when
more is used than is needed.  Luckily, I have avoided that reaction, but
i do know the feeling of losing airway before a reaction treatment has
kicked in, and I do know the bloody flux feeling.  I hate them but I know
them enough to be rather calm about them usually, and to just respond
with what needs to be done.  It's in avoiding them that I can get a bit
nervous, and I think that anyone who has had someone assume that food
allergy means hives knows that feeling.

Anaphylactic shock IS a type of allergic reaction.  Yes, it causes shock,
and yes, immediate treatment is necessary and I am glad you pointed that
out, Debi, because although I said that I guess I perhaps did not
emphasize it enough.  There are a range of types of allergic reactions.
There are the hives and mild hayfever many people think of when they hear
"allergy".  There is severe sinus inflammation which causes polyps and
other tissue over growth and is horridly painful and can even reduce the
ability to hear when inflammation is too great.  There is asthma, which
can be fatal and very painfully so, and can reduce lifespan even when not
directly fatal.  There is a form of allergic reaction which is sometimes
clumped with anaphylactic shock but sometimes listed separately in which
the tongue swells so greatly and rapidly that suffocation occurs.  There
is dermal necrosis, which killed a friend's wife after the second stage
of her marrow transplant many years ago in which the mucus membranes and
skin die; that is probably the worst of all the allergic reaction types
and typically very painfully fatal.

In anaphylatic shock what occurs is that during a past exposure the body
decided that something was a serious invader and set the stage.  Then
on the next exposure the body over-responds with a massive allergic
reaction.  Fluid is lost (the diarrhea) and it can be lost so rapidly
that red blood cells are carried across the intestinal membranes just
like boulders are moved by a flood (the bloody flux).  Loss of fluid
drop the blood pressure suddenly.  This in itself can be fatal or can
cause brain damage.  The risk is especially great if treatment is
delayed (which is why some school systems have been very properly sued
for preventing teachers and playground personnel from packing epi kits
for kids who need them).  In those who do not pass out the airway
progressively swells and the individual can suffocate to death.
Suffocation can also cause brain damage if it progresses too far.  (For
me the brain damage risk is my personal bigger worry than death.)

>This is why we encourage people to ask their vet to give the vaccine
>"FIRST" and then do the physical exam as well as having distemper and
>raibies shots done at different times.  (This way you will know what
>your furkid IS reacting to.  This way you will already be at the vets
>office about 30-45 minutes.

That is EXCELLENT ADVICE, Debi.  It's the way we do it, too, and then
we wait a while afterward.  I keep an eye on the ferrets on the way
home because we did have one who was allergic to Galaxy have a delayed
reaction, requiring a rapid and immediate trip back.  In fact, we forgot
our wallets that time (and have in some other emergencies, too, but they
treated anyway, of course.

BTW, not all get beet red so it is important that the individuals who
don't won't be mistaken for not having anaphylactic reactions.  In this
case, when in doubt still TREAT.  Any of the symptoms of an anaphylatic
allergic reaction may be present, but not all need to be.  Also, look
for the ferret acting like the throat is kicking up (which may show as
vomiting though that can alternatively happen for other reasons), for
dizziness, and for any other symptoms that worry you enough.

Some people may wonder why the time frame is longer waiting at a vet's
than at an allergist's after a shot for human.  This is because your
ferret can not tell you about early symptoms.  Take that seriously,
folks.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan