From:
Julie Fossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:50:37 -0700
I've heard of 'incomplete spays' and the problems owners can encounter with
these girls, but has anyone out there in FerretWorld ever run across an
'incomplete neuter'?

About 2 weeks ago we got in this 'drop-dead gorgeous' 3 year old male.
His owner became allergic, and she was telling the truth- her right eye
became very irritated when she handled him at his surrender.  Supposedly,
he was purchased at a pet store, neutered and descented.  Well, he isn't
descented, but what really haunted me was his hob-like appearance, even
having eye-rings that you encounter in some breeding hobs.  He also
carries a bit more odor than your average fuzzy.

To make a long story short, this little guy is hiding something, and will
have it removed this week.  (he was sick last week, and so he was
re-scheduled)

Interestingly enough, a couple of months ago, we got in a stray, so we have
no background info on this boy.  This male, I believe to be around 2 years
old, 'appears' to be neutered, but is definitely NOT descented -he carries
a strong odor.  Slim was skin and bones when he came in but is almost 3
pounds now.  Also, he has the richest deep chocolate brown coat and mask,
with a very peachy colored undercoat; I've never seen a ferret this color
before.  Both of these boys have had the sweetest, most gentle
dispositions, almost afraid of other ferrets, -until I let them out at
the same time a couple of days ago.  It was KILL.  Well, THAT didn't work!

So, now, this is my question...You can feel Bear's hidden asset, but not
Slim's - but that doesn't mean that there isn't necessarily one or both
still in there... Do you trust that he was neutered, and stop there, if
you cannot find any evidence to the contrary?  (I'll have the vet check
him when we go in this week.)

My vet was very relieved that we weren't going to have to search for
Bear's, but now if I take Slim in for the same thing, if it/they are not
easily located, do you go in and look, just to be sure, or let it go, and
assume there are not any still in there?  BTW, no tatoos on either boy.

I'ld appreciate any suggestions, experiences or opinions (as long as it
isn't that I'm a fruit cake- LOL) from anyone that may have seen this in
one of their males.  Many thanks,

Julie

=====
Julie Fossa