From:
Denis & Edith Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 15:15:30 -0500
My first ferret, Rikki was my little guy who absolutely detested getting a
bath.  He only like water on his own terms - namely the dogs water bowl.
The bowls were heavy and about 85% ferret proof for tipping over.  Rikki
would stand with his front paws on the bowl, & would scoop water all over
the place with one paw, then alternate with the other paw.  His whole front
would become totally soaking wet.  But I think the funniest part was he
would take 3 or 4 dog kibbles and put them in the bowl then proceed to eat
them one at a time.  Of course they were not always easily caught, which
would cause even more splashing & dunking.  If he got full, he would leave
the remaining bloated kibbles floating in the water.  This did not impress
the dogs who refused to drink with soggy objects floating around.

Unfortunately Rikki isn't with us anylonger.  He broke my heart a couple of
years ago with a very unfortunate & stupid accident.  After coming home from
a 2 week vacation I found a note on the table from the person that was
supposed to be checking on the ferrets everyday (the dogs were staying at
the in-laws who don't like ferrets) that she couldn't find Rikki.  My guess
is that our other ferret the little mischievious Whidbey had pried open one
of the heating registers on the floor & they both did some exploring.  She
found Whidbey curled up asleep in one of the air-duct pipes in the basement
ceiling but was unable to find my baby.  About 10 days later when I got home
there still was be no sign of him.  Completely devastated I had a
plumber-gas fitter come over & take apart all of the heating pipes.  About 3
hours later, we found him laying inside the furnance and on a sreen.  He
must have falled down about a 4 foot drop & badly hurt himself & was unable
to get out.  Death to him was agonizing and slow.

Rikki had not been in the best of health the last couple of years of his
life, but he did not deserve to go this way.

Please, I beg all of you to check & make sure that the air vents are screwed
down or impossible for little fuzzies to open.

Edith & Denis & Co.