From:
Caitlyn Máire Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:12:40 -0500
Hi, Sarah,

>However it wasn't, it turned out to be a tumor.  I was surprised to see
>that in such a young ferret.  It worries me.  Is this likely to re-occur
>in her?

The bad news is that yes, even if the currently affected adrenal gland is
removed, there is a good possibility that this will recur in the other
gland according to our vet.  The good news is that it is likely to happen
much later in life, as in not for some years, and even then, ferrets can
live on for quite some time after both adrenal glands have been removed.

>Are adrenal tumors really common or does it just feel that way?

Yes, they are, but not in ferrets that are so young.  Adrenal tumors are
common in ferrets that are four or older.  That doesn't help your little
girl, or my little guy Avon, who had his left adrenal gland removed at 21
months old.  He has made a full recovery, BTW, and is happy, healthy,
hairy :) and as playful as ever, so don't give up hope, OK?

>I've had another ferret I rescued with adrenal tumors and she passed
>away.

Why did she die?  I'm really curious.  Was she unusually old, or were other
cancers involved?  Our vet (Dr. Dan Hudson) has a very high success rate
with adrenal surgeries, as in more than 95%.  There are a number of ferts
in our local club who have gone several years after adrenal surgery and are
still happy and healthy.

>I am afraid for my other ferret too, I mean she has no symptoms and is
>regularly vet checked/has bloodwork done, but I am worried about it.  Any
>answers would help.

There is a woman in our local area.  Her ferret died last year.  He was
11, and never, ever had a major health problem.  He was just really old.
Everyone posts to FML when their ferret has problems, right?  Wouldn't be
a boring post if I wrote to FML about how all eight of ours are happy and
healthy?  Think about it.

Please don't worry too much.  Yes, there is a chance your other fert will
have some health problem sooner or later, especially when he or she is old.
Think about people.  Isn't it true for us too?

All the best,
Caity

(mine:  Adric, Kerr Avon, Nyssa, Pertwee, and Romana)
(Keith's: Tenchi, Ryo-Ohki, and Lady Ayeka)