From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:18:54 -0500
One more thing on Humane Societies:  many will not take ferrets.
Our County HS doesn't take them because they don't recommend them as
good pets, they are considered wild animals, and they say they don't
have a ferret license so they can't.  You would think that a HS would
be exempt from the licensing part, which makes me think it's a bad
excuse.

However, we have persuaded them to refer all ferret calls to us and they
have been very good about doing that.  We probably get about 1 or 2 calls
a month from them, and all the ferrets we've picked up have been super
ferrets.  Reasons for giving them up range from having a new baby, to moving
where I can't take them, I'm going away to school, no more time.

Our turn around time for adopting them out again is 2 - 3 weeks.  Right
now we have a small waiting list of people who want Shelter ferrets.  We
discount our Shelter animals to WNYFLFA members; this encourages people
to join the club, it allows us to monitor their progress and care, and
be readily available if new owners have any problems.  Members receive our
newsletter bimonthly, accessing them to what we hope is good solid ferret
information.

Check out your closest ferret club/shelter.  Pam Grant has the most complete
listing of anyone I know and it's also in Ferret Central or Ferret FAQ.

No one has been disappointed in the Shelter ferrets they've adopted.
SAVE A LIFE!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA