From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:51:18 -0400
Hi Melissa,

We, too, have a "Family Pet Center" at our Holyoke Mall here in
Massachusetts.  The conditions of the puppies and the ferrets are
frequently horrendous.

The nice thing about a mall store is that you can complain to the mall
management and usually get something done.  Mall management has
jurisdiction over the stores in its mall, and complaints about animals
kept this way should go to them.  You can also contact your local SPCA or
animal control officer and let them know that within their township there
is a store mistreating pets.  They will take it seriously, and they have
to investigate complaints.

I understand completely your hesitation/desire conflict to purchase the
ferret and save him/her.  The problem is not only that it will put money
in the store's pockets, but also that when they sell ferrets, they just
get more in and keep them in the same deplorable conditions.  Saving one
ferret just puts another one in his place.  However if the ferret looks
ill or seems to be suffering, do whatever you need to do to get the ferret
to a vet, especially if the store won't do it.  Veterinary documentation
later on only makes the case against a negligent pet store that much
stronger.

We've had considerable trouble with this chain here in Massachusetts.  A
local ferret shelter has received several ferrets directly from the store
when they came in sick or biting.  The dogs are kept in unspeakably small
cages and like you, I've seen them have no food or water and look very
hungry and ill.  But people keep buying the puppies, so the store
thrives.  Sad!

Please contact the mall management, your animal control, and the home
office of Family Pet Centers.  The phone number for their main office is
1-800-595-7175, it just gets to an answering machine, but leave a message,
hopefully they'll respond!

Good luck. Hopefully this helps!

Sincerely,
Heather W. in Massachusetts