From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:39:42 -0500
One of my ferrets has been diagnosed with a yeast infection in her ears!
Symptoms like an inner ear infection -- trouble walking straight, head
shaking, scratching.  I figured it was an ear problem, but was surprised
to hear the lab tech tell the vet the slide had 'a lot of yeast', and
negligible amounts of bacteria.  Would this be caused by a 'water on the
ear' type of thing?  Has anyone had experience with this?  The vet, who
appears to be very ferret knowledgeable (I fired the last guy), prescribed
an ointment 2x daily (sorry, I don't have it handy to tell you what it
is).  I was just wondering what to expect.  The poor little girl's very
uncomfortable -- acts like she has a major headache.  She's eating fine
when she can get to the food (four level cage, and she goes up better than
she comes down!), and I'm supplementing with duck soup and Nutrical.  Her
cage mate has some yucky stuff (black, not mites) in his ears, but is
showing no symptoms at all.  We have him on the ointment as a precaution,
and to clean his ears completely.

Thanks,
Joanne