From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:36:42 -0500
Unfortunately, my little girl with the yeast infection is now gravely ill.
It is apparently a viral infection of some sort that affects the central
nervous system and GI, although she has no GI problems right now.  Suddenly
last night she couldn't even walk or hold her head up.  The vet thinks the
infection is affecting her entire spinal tract.  The clinic has seen two
recently with similar symptoms.  One recovered, one didn't -- but the one
that didn't had other health problems.  Kiwi is on steroids, antibiotics,
nistatin(sp) for yeast, carafate, vitamins, and liquid diet (which she is
eating willingly - a good sign).  No fever, normal stool, good appetite.
Nothing immediate showing in blood samples, but we'll have more results
tomorrow.  The prognosis is guarded, but optimistic because Kiwi is young
and in great health.  The vet feels it's not that her legs are unusable,
she thinks she's just too weak to lift them.  There was slight improvement
today, and I'll see her tomorrow.  The vet said it could be several days
before we know which way this is going to go.  And then we have to worry
about the rest of the crew, especially the two just recovering from the
green slimy poops.  Kiwi slept with me last night - laid across my chest,
with her head on my pillow.  Such a love.

Please keep her in your prayers -- I don't think I could stand to lose her.

Joanne