From:
Ted Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:45:52 EST
Rajah's 'histology' (have I got the right word) results are in and I don't
know if its good or not.  We're going to the vet tomorrow so I hope to find
out more then, but any additional info/advice anyone can provide would be
greatly appreciated.

Ok - some history as I'm sure you are lost :)
Dr Williams was in the UK at the time of my original postings, so I'm sure
he at least doesn't know what I'm babbling on about.

Rajah is about 2.  She is a spayed female.  I've had her since June.  I got
her from the SPCA - hence no history beyond knowing she'd already been
spayed.  She weighed about 1lb 12oz then.

She recently had a nasty bout of vomiting one night and so was watched for
a day - no further vomiting, she was eating, drinking, using the litterbox
- but she was listless and she just didn't look right.  So we went to the
vet.  She had a big lump.  So she was x-rayed and went in for exploratory
surgery.  The vet removed the mass and sent it for a 'histology'.  This all
happened about a month ago.  And on the following afternoon I collected a
much happier, bouncier, hungrier etc and so on ferretkin.

Finally, what the report says - the mass was a kidney - grossly distorted
by cysts.  My vet says this condition is uncommon but not unheard of and
that it is thought to be hereditary.  We are going in tomorrow afternoon so
they can take a bit of blood to ensure that Rajah's other kidney is doing
ok.

So, what can you tell me?  Might cysts develop on her other kidney.  Is
there any other treatment/options available to us - I mean she can't have
the other kidney removed can she?  Do they do kidney transplants in
ferrets?  What are our chances?

I've whizzed through Ferret Central and the FAQ and previous FMLs looking
for other mentions of these cysts, but I couldn't find anything.  PLEASE
tell me something - anything :(

My poor little baba is doing so well.  She's behaved like such a happy
bouncy little monster since her surgery.  I hope we can stay together for
LOTS longer.  And Orville loves her too (he's our baby boy - year old
neutered male fuzzykin).

Sorry for the length of this.  Any info / advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tanya
Orville & Rajah